McClatchy Interactive creates, deploys, and maintains software that powers over seventy periodical Web sites, including miamiherald.com, charlotteobserver.com, and newsobserver.com (Raleigh, NC). All of the Web sites are hosted and monitored in enterprise-class data centers.
Additionally, McClatchy Interactive supports all of the Web sites with hands-on technical training, consulting services, and 24/7 customer service.
McClatchy Interactive is looking for a Lead Developer to help build a digital platform for our national video operation. This new initiative will dramatically expand McClatchy's video efforts and will be a centerpiece of the companys future. This individual will focus on implementing McClatchys enterprise video strategy, helping to assess the product roadmap and technical direction. He or she will work on projects to improve the video viewing experience, add functionality and optimize delivery performance across all McClatchy properties and platforms.
A software developer at McClatchy Interactive will design, implement and maintain solutions within the framework of our Escenic content management system as we roll it out to all of the McClatchy Companys numerous web sites.
Developers work closely with colleagues, the immediate development team and the software lead, the department head, product managers, and others to define deliverables, divide and conquer assignments, design solutions, and write code. Developers also work closely with technical writers to assure product documentation is complete and accurate.
- Object-oriented design and development.
- Design and development of unit test modules.
- Peer code reviews.
- Creation of documentation for both developer and end-user consumption.
- Providing training to other developers and customer service personnel.
- After hours availability for emergency issues.
- Bachelor's degree or advanced degree in computer science, electrical or computer engineering, physics, or mathematics is preferred but not required
- Four-six years of professional programming experience
- At least two years in J2EE, Struts and Maven
- Enterprise scale software development
- Experience with a revision control system (e. g. Git or Subversion)
- Experience with developing and integrating one or more video technologies including: JW Player, YouTube player, Google Adx, Amazon AWS, Amazon Elastic transcoder, etc.
Special Skills/Licenses/Certifications: Required
- Object-oriented software design and development in a team environment
- Solid knowledge of Unix or Linux, the command-line, scripting, configuration and administration
- Experience with Weblogic or Apache configuration (tuning a plus)
- Customer service skills
Special Skills/Licenses/Certifications: Preferred
- Software development using Agile methodologies
- Enterprise scale software design, development and support experience
- Experience with caching systems (Memcached, Varnish, Akamai, etc.)
- Familiarity with Video Processing, Audio and Video codecs, and Transcoding Systems